Tech Lady Hackathon + Training Day DC #5 was a success!
See the highlights from Twitter and get ready for next year!
Tech Lady Hackathon was started to get more women and enbies into tech. Each year in D.C. hundreds gather for a day of friendly learning and hacking. Coders, tech strategists, newbies, nerds, and the curious are all welcome!
Tech Lady Hackathon was founded in 2013 by Leah Bannon. After Leah's move to San Francisco in 2015, Jessica Garson, Joy Whitt, and Kate Rabinowitz took over as organizers for Tech Lady Hackathon. In 2017 Alexis Johnson-Gresham joined as a co-organizer.
Coverage from previous hackathons:
- ‘It was super electric and I’m still amped and exhausted and full of feelings’ Technical.ly DC
- DC Tech Lady Hackathon Like Any Other Hackathon, Only Better, DC Inno
- The Second Tech Lady Hackathon was Tremendous, Shannon Turner, Hear Me Code
- I am woman, hear me code, FCW
- Tech Lady Hackathon: Civic Hacking for Women in Tech, Tech.co
- Tech Lady Hackathon: 'A really open community for women', FCW:
- 18F's Leah Bannon has a message: The tech field is for everyone, NextGov
What to expect at the event
Training: We offer training and mentoring workshops all day. No prior knowledge of code is necessary. Some examples of classes are: Intro to... APIs, Python, GitHub, html/CSS, and data viz.
Discussion Groups: There are guided discussion groups throughout the day for more specific Tech Lady communities, such as Women of Color in Tech, Government Tech, and Mid-Level in Tech.
Hackathon: This is a civic hackathon, and we usually work on projects from community organizations like Code for DC, but you're welcome to bring anything and pitch it.
New to hackathons? Not sure what to expect, bring, or do? Check out this post: What to expect at a hackathon.
Tech Lady Hackathon is made possible through generous donations. Thank you to our sponsors this year!
You can be a sponsor too!
Tech Lady now also accepts donations from our community. Donations are tax deductible. Fill out below to donate to us directly!